Stress is so common these days. From a small child to an elderly person faces stress and thereby low mood. With the modern lifestyle, technology and all the chaos around, the level of mental stress people were facing was already high. And then covid-19 further worsened the mental health problems of people. The covid-19 situation and the subsequent lockdown especially made people feeling low and lethargic. Among the new normal also, people still feel anxious and experience low mood many a times.
‘Let food be thy medicine’
This famous English saying by Hippocrates means that good food and nutrition have the ability to cure and prevent diseases. Did you know that there are some foods that can actually enhance your mood and make you feel better? Let us see what some of these foods are:
- Walnuts- Walnuts are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats for the brain. Omega-3 cannot be made by itself in our body, so it is mandatory to take it through food. Eating omega-3 enriched foods has been shown to improve depression symptoms.
- Eggs- Eggs are a rich source of the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid required for the production of serotonin. Serotonin is a happy neurotransmitter in your brain. Eating eggs daily can actually help improve your mood.
- Fishes- Fishes especially fatty fishes are rich sources of Vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. Vitamin D is required for bone health and your mental health. Deficiency of Vitamin D is related to depression. Sunlight is the prime source of Vitamin D. However, due to our lifestyle, most of us are deficient in Vitamin D. Supplementation with Vitamin D under a healthcare professional’s guidance can be taken for better bone health and brain health.
- Flaxseeds- are rich sources of magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids. Eating roasted one tablespoon of flaxseed is not only good for your mental health but also good for your heart health and digestive system.
- Mothbeans- Motth or ‘matki’ is a legume which is a rich source of magnesium. Low levels of magnesium in the body have been associated with low testosterone levels and thereby low mood in both men and women. Motth can be sprouted and eaten or can be soaked and can be eaten in the form of daal.
- Cashews- Cashews are a rich source of the mineral zinc. Low levels of zinc in the body leads to low mood. Consuming Cashews help alleviate mood.
- Almonds- Having soaked almonds in the morning can actually help improve your mood. Almonds are a good source of magnesium and eating them can help improve your mood.
- Milk- Having warm milk in the night along with turmeric or nutmeg can actually calm your mind and help you relax. Milk is also a source of amino acid tryptophan which helps in the production of serotonin and thereby regulates your mood.Along with above foods, taking small breaks in the form of a small nap or having a walk outside with a friend can also help your mind rejuvenate. Mindful meditation and good music are also things that can help elevate your mood.